Thursday, November 11, 2010

TABLE ROCK...AKA...TABLE MOUNTAIN

The end of August before school started we were able to squeeze in a final hike with our kids and Val's brother Mark and his wife Sherry. And it was not just any hike.....it was Table Rock. We knew it was going to be tough but had been wanting to do it all summer. Brianne was able to come home for the weekend so we brought her along. I knew Landon, Brianne and Val would have no problems, but was worried about Brylee and me!! Brylee did not want to go and made sure we all knew it. She didn't really have a choice. Poor little girl:) We left I.F. at 5:30am heading for Driggs and started the hike shortly after 7:00am. I love the Teton Mountains. They are breathtakingly beautiful. Every time I see them I am in awe. The picture I took from the car was nothing compared to what we would be seeing later in the day.


Before we started. Happy, rested and anxious to get going!

Every part of the hike was beautiful. So scenic and a variety of everything!
The description of this hike on trails.com is "strenuous". Boy was that an understatement!! You hike for hours and hours, feel like you can't take another step then you see the goal in sight...it looks so close. Unfortunately it is farther away than you think. The high elevation makes it so hard to breath. At the end the only way Bry and I could keep going was to count to 50. We would count as we walked then rest at 50. It was a slow process but I was so proud that both of us made it!! That all of us made it!!
This picture of Brylee was my favorite of the day! It seriously looks like she is standing in front of a mural....not on the top of a mountain with the Teton's right behind her!! Crazy....she was so proud of herself but says she will never do it again and if she marries someone who wants to hike it she will tell him to have fun!!

I don't know why I was surprised at how windy it was on top! It seriously felt as though you were standing shoulder to shoulder with the clouds! Such an amazing sight and feeling. And to look down at the valley where we started was a feeling of accomplishment.

Heading down....even harder than up! But we made it. Almost 13 hours hiking and approx. 14 miles with a 3800 elevation gain. Whew :"> I want to do it again next year! (Bry says no way)

About 2 miles left until we were back at the car we turned to get one last glimpse of Table Rock. We couldn't believe how far we had hiked in 1 day. (I about cried)

4 comments:

Nick and Lexie Sherman said...

Ya I cant believe how far of a hike that is.... I'm sorry to say but I'm not that sad I missed it, but I'm glad you guys had fun :)

Kristin said...

I'm so glad you made it! My mom told me that they passed like an 80 year old man. That might give you a little motivation that if he can do it then you can too.

The Miles Family said...

Well..unlike Lexie I am sad that I missed that!! Even though I would have certainly struggled. I'm not gonna lie..I had to show Josh this post and it made us feel regret. There are fun, beautiful adventures in Idaho that we didn't take advantage of..not that we won't get the chance again or anything.
Can we do that all together as a family someday?? Think Bry would go for that? :) It looks gorgeous! I can't believe it was 13 miles of strenuous hiking. I am so proud of you guys!

And I didn't know you guys went to Washington to visit grandpa this summer. How fun! The pottery wheel looks like it would have been entertaining to watch.

CA said...

https://www.cekaja.com/info/perbedaan-kelas-di-pesawat